Alli, the owner of Stratia, creates all of the formulas for the products and makes them herself. She has meticulously researched ingredients and based on the four products I’ve tried–Soft Touch AHA, Rewind, Velvet Cleansing Milk, and Liquid Gold–her research has paid off! (Read my review of the Soft Touch AHA here and my review of Liquid Gold here.)
The bottle is solid glass, as is the dropper. The dropper works well, allowing you to control how much dispenses. I also appreciate that you can see how much is left, and that the dropper extends down to the bottom of the bottle so you really can get it all out.
“In scientific studies, DMAE has been shown to reduce the appearance of lines and fine wrinkles and improve the overall appearance of aging skin. Niacinamide can regulate cell turnover, fade hyperpigmentation, reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and strengthen your skin barrier. A few key plant extracts – licorice root, Centella asiatica, and tamarind seed – run the gamut of anti-aging powers, from fading dark spots to powerful antioxidant abilities.
Every ingredient in Rewind is there for a reason, and that reason is giving you smooth, plump, radiant skin. It’s light yet hydrating enough to be used by all skin types. Use it before your usual moisturizer to give your skin a blast to the past.
Like all Stratia products, Rewind is unfragranced, gimmick-free, and formulated based on hard science.” (Stratiaskin.com) [All links are original to the Stratia description.]
I appreciate when Alli cites the science she’s working from to formulate the products. Rewind is one of the more affordable brightening, anti-aging serums available.
Water (Aqua), Glycerin, Ethoxydiglycol, Niacinamide, Propylene Glycol, 2-Dimethylamino Ethanol (DMAE), Panthenol, Hydrolized Rice Protein, N-Acetyl Glucosamine, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Tamarindus Indica (Tamarind) Seed Extract, Hydrocotyl (Centella Asiatica) Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Allantoin, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Disodium EDTA
- Niacinamide: helps brighten, lessen wrinkles, and repair skin. This formula contains 5% niacinamide. For my full ode to this wonderous ingredient, click here.
- 2-Dimethylamino Ethanol (DMAE): lessens wrinkles and makes the skin firmer
- Panthenol: Sometimes called pro-vitamin B5, panethanol is a humectant used to attract and hold moisture.
- Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract: Has skin-soothing properties. It also may be effective in evening skin tone. It is ideal for sensitive or red/irritated skin.
- Hydrocotyl (Centella Asiatica) Extract: Contains antioxidants and is soothing to the skin.
- Sodium Hyaluronate: the version of hyaluronic acid that has smaller molecules that allows it to absorb into the skin more easily; hyaluronic acid is a humectant that can hold up to 1,000 times its weight in water.
- Allantoin: stimulates cell growth and softens skin
The (Personal) Evidence
I used up a bottle of Stratia Rewind earlier this year. Rewind is a clear, runny, scent-less essence that has a lovely slip that allows is to spread easily over the skin. I found it easiest to put a few drops of this in my Cosrx Advanced Snail 96 Mucin Power Essence because they worked well together.
Rewind absorbs fairly quickly, although I could feel it on my skin; this didn’t happen when I applied it with the Cosrx Snail. Overall, Rewind layered nicely with all of my products.
Rewind is another product that helped to strengthen my moisture barrier, and also lighten some of my PIH. Alli explains that this formula is geared toward anti-aging, but that isn’t a huge concern for me. I bought it because of the 5% niacinamide. (There is literally nothing that can get me to purchase skincare faster than seeing niacinamide near the top of the ingredient list.)
People often ask me to compare Stratia Rewind to the other (skincare-world famous) niacinamide serum, Holy Snails Shark Sauce. Having tried both, I think they both work to lighten PIH, although Rewind works better on lightening new scars whereas Shark Sauce worked incredibly well on PIH that I had since high school. I had a number of PIH scars on my chin from some cystic pimples, and Rewind helped them lighten and almost disappear within a month and a half.
In addition to lightening PIH, Rewind helped to strengthen my skin and added hydration to my routine. I wish I could give you a discussion of if it worked on fine lines and wrinkles, but all I can say is that my skincare notes (yes, I keep a notebook) tells me that my skin felt firm and plump. Even after “swatching” it for the photo above, the back of my hand felt noticeably smoother and softer for the rest of the afternoon.
Overall, I think this is one of the most affordable skincare products with 5% niacinamide. I have a number of other brightening serums in my stash that I have to work through before repurchasing this, but for those of you who want an inexpensive essence that brightens, fights wrinkles, and hydrates, I would recommend Rewind!
So, will I buy this product again?
- Did you not read the review? Yes, of course. I will spend all of my money on this product!
- Yes. I enjoy this product enough to purchase again in the future, especially if it’s on sale.
- Meh. Maybe. I mean, I bet there are other, better things out there. I’d use it if someone gave it to me.
- No. I won’t use this again and will probably bad-mouth it to others.
- Hahahahaha. Nope. Noooooooope. Not even if you paid me.
The Verdict: Yes. I enjoy this product enough to purchase again in the future, especially if it’s on sale.
Where you can purchase: Stratia $14